Monday, October 15, 2007

Why does my wife homeschool?

Because it's needed?

A friend of ours once said we should have as many kids as possible. Why? We've got good genes. We're strengthening the gene pool. Something about two arguably successful graduates of the Naval Academy.

So why do I ask this? This past weekend was our church's fall festival. This is a time for families throughout the parish and neighborhoods to gather, have some fun, and raise a little money for the church.

I was walking to trade in game tickets ("Win" and "Star" tickets) for prizes for the kids, when I heard a teen-age kid yell to his friend as they were headed in the opposite direction. Not a problem, but out of 6 words, at least two can't be said on TV.

It's been a long while since I would let something like this go. I yelled "Hey, hold on a minute" to get his attention. He looked at me and started walking away from me. He's walking his BMX bike, so I grabbed the seat to get his attention. I might not have been raised to respect every authority, but when I knew an adult or someone senior to me in the Navy is talking to me, I stopped to listen.

This kid didn't want to hear me out. I've got four kids, 8 and under. I'm not letting this go. I got him to face me by putting my hand on his shoulder (I know...yellow light is getting pretty bright - no witnesses except his friends at this point - it'll be my word against his), and I explain that he is "on church grounds at a festival with hundreds of families around" and that I would appreciate it if he toned his language down.

Any guesses on his response? Yep...he cursed in the process of saying he didn't care and it doesn't matter.

At some point in here, he threatens to go get his dad. I told him to go ahead. "I'd love to talk to your dad." He says his dad would be angry with me because he would have to interrupt his dad's "relations". "I don't care. Go get him."

They started away and I didn't think anything of it, going on the "buy" the toys for the kids.

A bit later I'm walking around and find the kid and his friends watching me. At one point they were actually taking a video of me with their cell phone. I'm not sure what for. Maybe to show a father holding his son at a church festival and not bothering anyone?

Regardless, the next thing I know the kid is in my face again and saying I had no right to stop him earlier. He said he was going to get my information and sue me for putting my hand on his shoulder. I told him it had been 30 minutes since I told him to get his dad the first time, and that I hadn't left yet. I welcomed him again to go get his dad, and I'd give his dad my information.

That was the last I saw him. I waited around for over 20 more minutes. Would his dad have tried to "beat me up"? Would his dad kicked his backside in for talking back to an adult? It's amazing how twisted reality can be for some people.

So...back to my original question. Why does my wife homeschool? For one thing, we are trying to raise our kids to be 100% unlike this kid. For another, I don't want to expose my kids to people like this or the parents that let them get that way.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that our kids seem to be pretty smart :)

Sorry, had to vent that a little bit. Growing up I could never have imagined acting like that, nor could I imagine my kids acting that way.

5 comments:

Mama Lizard said...

That kid was just unbelievable. To think he could intimidate a grown man, talk back and treat you with disrespect, is just beyond my comprehension.

Mama Lizard said...

Not that he intimidated you, but just the idea that he thought he could...just wrong.

The Lizard said...

I'll survive :)

And...no, I was not intimidated.

Mama Tango said...

Good grief. Things like that scare the jeebers out of me when it comes to my own children. For reasons I won't mention here, I am unable to homeschool. Oh, but if I had the means, I'd have made that decision differently long ago. I used to think that being in a "smaller" town would help, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

The Lizard said...

Yeah, it's pretty scary how little where you are matters. We have friends in a very small town in Utah. The first time we went to visit they told us that as soon as we got into town, to hang our head out the window and ask someone walking down the street where they lived. We got our directions and the person didn't even blink.

Now? You might need to know spanish to ask the same thing - and probably won't get an answer anyway. :(