Friday, October 12, 2007

I'm OK with Dell.

So for a while now I've been having problems with the sound card on my Dell D620 laptop. As long as it was trying to play a sound, it would erupt in solid static at max volume. Headset? Same thing. It was odd because after a few minutes it would go away.

Over time it got to where it didn't matter for how long I let it go. So Wednesday I decided to contact Dell Tech Support. The best move I made was to use Chat instead of the phone. I got connected right away. I also didn't have to worry about an accent!

The end result, after running the Dell built-in diagnostics, was that there was a problem with the sound card (Duh!) and the motherboard had to be replaced. In the past I would have a DHL rep show up on my doorstep with a padded box, ready to take my life away for an indeterminate amount of time.

Not this time! We're talking late Wednesday night they asked if it was urgent and I would need next day support. They shipped a new motherboard to a local tech, and he showed up today. About an hour later, the motherboard was replaced and things were almost 100% back to normal. That's better service than when I had to mail it in, and that was usually one day in each direction for mailing, plus time in the depot.

The only problem I had was the Intel PROset Wireless software giving me fits. It had some Profile issues to include this error:An internal database error occurred when saving/updating the profile.

Repairing the software installation a couple of times seems to have fixed that...but not until I was on the phone with Dell's Wireless Techs.

We'll see how this holds up...


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Mama Lizard said...

yea for a healthy computer! And yea for a happy hubby, hehe!